Monday 17 August 2015

The 'rest' week

This week we aren't tining any greens so we call it a rest week but it is far from that.  Firstly there is a lot of recovery maintenance that had to continue on the greens that were intensively tined over the last few weeks. The initial greens are now looking good, smoothness is returning and speed is not too far behind. The greens done last week are being cut at 4 mm still due to delays last week with the rain on Monday and Friday. Hopefully tomorrow they will be cut at the normal Summer height of 3.5 mm. 
The bunkers on 10-18 have been tidied as they were on 1-9 previously. Sand pushed up faces and into low spots. Areas have been strimmed and tidied. A fungicide has been applied to greens 10-18 now the grass has grown through the sand. And today we have sprayed 19-27 greens with sulphate of iron, to reduce moss leading up to renovation on those greens. 
It's incredible to think that after 14mm of rain on Monday that when I put a winter cup into the 24th fairway this is what I found. 
No moisture at all. Admittedly this is one of our drier fairways but I was surprised to see the ground this dry. There is an amount of thatch/ matted material at the surface which does limit moisture penetrating deeper into the profile. However I would of expected the top 100 mm to be moist. This goes to show what I dry year it has been and emphasises what I was saying regarding the trees struggling. Grass also needs moisture and if it isn't deep enough can lead to shallow rooting and turf stress. This is why we apply wetting agents to greens especially. They break down the tension of water to help them move through soil. 
The rest of this week we will be catching up on all cutting jobs. Dave sawdon is still with us and has made a start on the heather borders around the clubhouse. 

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.